FROM MOTOR SAILORS TO CAPESIZE BULKERS
The shipping company was founded in 1945 by Oskar Wehr who was born in Koblenz, over 500 kilometres away from Germany’s coast. The success story of the shipping company began with the acquisition of the motor sailer, ANNE, which was deployed in what were then the traditional sea routes of coastal shipping. Already in 1957 delivery was taken of the first newbuilding from the Sietas shipyard by the company, followed by further ships in the years after. In the middle of the 60s, Captain Oskar Wehr decided from then on to operate his fleet, which had now expanded to four ships, from “terra firma”. The newly-founded Oskar Wehr KG then managed the ships from its company headquarters in Hamburg-Altona. With the JANNE WEHR (1) 1968 the shipping company took delivery of its first vessel – a semi container ship – able to load up to 63 TEU. The first container ship newbuilding for the company was delivered in 1974. The JANNE WEHR (2) with its 280 TEU was then one of the modern ships in the feeder sector. Today she is still used as a singledecker on European routes. With the delivery of the Ro/Ro ships THOMAS WEHR and GABRIELE WEHR at the end of the 70s, the shipping company diversified its activities beyond coastal shipping. Since 1977 the company’s competitive chartering activities have been operated under their own broker house. Special emphasis is put on the international procurement of charter contracts for container ships and bulk carriers in all market segments. We work very closely with a large number of internationally reputable liner companies and operators worldwide.
In the middle of the 90s the ship owner Jürgen Wehr adopted a fleet alignment programme for the new millennium and the next generation. So, at the beginning of 1996, delivery was taken of the SIGRID WEHR with 1150 TEU from the Polish shipyard Stocznia Szczecinska S.A., Stettin. Further new buildings were delivered from this yard. A total of nine container ships of type B170 with 1730 TEU were taken over until 2002. In addition eight container ships of 2500 TEU each were built in German shipyards. Six of them in Warnemünde and two at the Volkswerft Stralsund. These ships have been under operation for the shipping company since 2002. Together with two panamax container vessels, the container vessel fleet was increased to a total number of 19 units ranging from 1,700 to 5,100 TEU in 2006. As a result of the shipping crisis most of the KG-financed container ships were sold in 2013 and 2016. The company owned container ships (5,100 TEU and 2,500 TEU) were sold in the first half of 2017.
In the bulk segment the company took over the management of four Panamax bulk carriers with 65,000 tonnage capacity in 1999. This move into the dry bulk sector initiated a fleet diversification. These older bulkers were sold, but a new modern fleet was ordered and is presently flying the blue-yellow-blue company flag. The Oskar Wehr bulk fleet presently consists of 10 vessels. Five Mitsui built MES 56 supramax bulkers, as well as five capesize bulkers of 176,000 tdw all built at New Times shipyard and delivered into service between 2010 and 2012.